Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

To Be a Teacher

Way back when, when I was a young sprite in my early college years, I thought I wanted to be an art teacher. Somewhere along the way however, I dropped the teacher part and chose instead to focus solely on art. The right decision at the time, it allowed me to develop confidence in my craft which isn't always easy to come by for me. Fast-forward 10 years later however, and as fate would have it, I am back in school, getting my masters in art education from the College of Saint Rose in Albany, NY.


It's been a long time coming, this new path. For a while I found myself floundering, unsure what direction I wanted my life to take. I struggled with feelings of futility, seeing a lack of true impact in my day to day existence. What exactly was I accomplishing? How was I making the world a better place? What was my contribution? The more I thought about it, the more I realized I was really on to something when I first started college. It took experiencing a little more of life before I could pin point why life as an art teacher could be such a great fit for me, but now, infinitely older and wiser (Ha!) pin point it I did!

Teaching is quite possibly one of the most rewarding careers you can have in life if you view rewards as outside the realm of monetary compensation. Sure, you don't make a killing as a teacher, but EVERY SINGLE DAY you spend in the classroom, you get a hands on opportunity to inspire another human being to recognize their own value and worth, and thereby put into the world something immensely positive with immeasurable impact.

I am one semester deep in something I feel passionately about. Not only does art inspire me and fuel my creative soul, but as a teacher, I'll have the chance to help students find that for themselves. And even if they don't hop on the Art Rocks! bandwagon, they'll be learning how to take risks, talking about why they're making the creative decisions they are, gaining confidence in their abilities, and problem solving their way through projects!

If that's not a gift of a job, then I don't know what is! As I get further along in my program, I'm sure you'll all about my adventures in the classroom which I'll be bursting with excitement to share, and then hopefully, I'll get a job. Start sending out employment vibes now! Even though it's two years away, I'll need all the help I can get!

much love,
-t

No comments:

Post a Comment